Thursday, April 8, 2010

What about the ADA.

I am a Special Education teacher in the state of Georgia. I have recently recieved injuries that have led to me needing the use of a wheelchair or crutches at all times. Before the injury I did not stop to think if all of my students could navigate in all of the facilities located in my surrounding environment. My husband and I decided to go to a store twenty minutes form our home town. When we got there the store had not wheelchairs for customer use as well as the isles were so packed that it made our shopping trip difgficult for me to navigate. I finally had to rest from the use of crutches and the only spot for me to sit was on top of the stack of dog food. I was so agrivated. Then it hit me, if I took my students on a field trip to this store I would not be able to get one of my students through the store. Then, I began looking around at other businesses in the area and noticing that this was not the only store that would be difficult. I now would like to make an effort to make the quality of life for my students with disablilities to have an easy time navigating around the environment they live in.

No comments:

Post a Comment